We Predict The Top Technology Trends Set To Make Their Mark In 2020
We operate at the cutting edge of the IT and electronic engineering sphere, which is why we always endeavour to keep abreast of new and emerging technologies. After all, the trends which are forecast to define our niche sector will determine how we must adapt to support our clients and candidates with their own unique requirements.
We were particularly excited to predict the trends which we feel will both impact and disrupt the marketplace in 2020 specifically and how we can ensure businesses stay ahead of them to attract the best talent. Meanwhile, we want our candidates to be privy to the most exciting opportunities with the best organisations over the next 12 months and beyond.
We aim to delve into these trends over the course of our blog series which will help you to understand each of them in more detail and how they may directly impact your business or job prospects respectively.
In order to accurately predict our key trends, we initially analysed Wikibrand’s Digital Periscope study. It ranked the 30 emerging technologies which will impact our marketplace, culture and society the most over the next 10 years, from 2018 to 2028, and certainly pointed at some of the key trends we saw as prevalent in 2019.
It is interesting to note that, just two years since this list was published, there have already been significant changes in the tech sphere.
For example, it is interesting to observe that, in some circles, blockchain has somewhat lost its appeal with a recent report by research firm Gartner coining the phrase ‘blockchain fatigue’. The main reasons are that its current technologies are falling short, offering data without relying on a central authority, all while being backed by cryptographic machinery which is notoriously slow.
This clearly demonstrates how fast the industry can shift as we enter a new decade which promises vast technological advances. Analysis of more recent research by media outlet Mobile App Daily’s expert contributors allowed us to accurately pinpoint 15 technology trends which will specifically impact businesses in 2020.
The overall results from both sources make for fascinating reading as we consider the exciting ways in which we can adapt, develop and adjust our methods of working right now in order to invest in the future. This includes identifying the skill-sets and talent which will ensure that our leading innovators and top candidates stay at the top of their game in the ever evolving tech sector.
Wikibrand’s list included five different criteria:
Current and projected size (in terms of direct and indirect revenue)
Future segment growth rate and scale of adoption
Claimed perception of impact on the future (through Wikibrand surveys)
Current chatter value and buzz (via Google and social media)
Knock-on effects and interactions with other technologies and industries
Of the top technologies ranked by both Wikibrand and Mobile App Daily, these are the four trends which we have selected and that we predict will shake up our core disciplines in 2020:
Artificial Intelligence: AI /Machine Learning / Deep Learning
Internet of Things: IOT / Sensors & Wearables
Mobile & Social Internet: Advancements, Social Networks/Media, Search, Messenging and Live Streams
Big Data: Apps, Infrastructure & Predictive Analytics
We found it interesting to observe that AI features prominently on both lists and this is why we have selected it as our number one trend for 2020. We believe there is a strong case to say that AI will not eliminate jobs entirely, but rather change the types of roles available. It will almost certainly result in an increased demand for highly skilled technical roles, particularly in the area of big data, which is also among our top picks for next year due to it huge market potential. We also believe that mobile and social internet will grow exponentially this year, while the number of businesses which use IoT technologies is also expected to thrive.
Stay tuned to the Oho Group blog for our series of insights into 2020’s key technology trend predictions.
See below for the full list of Wikibrand’s 30 emerging technology trends:
- #1 Artificial Intelligence #AI /Machine Learning / Deep Learning
- #2 Internet of Things #IOT / #IIOT & Sensors & Wearables
- #3 Mobile & Social Internet — Advancements, Social Networks/Media, Search, Messenging and Livestreams
- #4 Blockchain — Cryptocurrencies, Distributed Ledger Systems, DAOs, DApps.
- #5 Big Data — Apps, Infrastructure & Predictive Analytics
- #6 Automation — Information, Task, Process, Machine, Decision & Action
- #7 Robots including Drones & Autonomous Vehicles — Consumer/Commercial/Industrial Robots and Robotics
- #8 Immersive Media — #VR/ #AR/ #MR/ 360°
- #9 Mobile Technologies & Advancements — infrastructure, networks, standards, services & devices
- #10 Cloud Computing — Software-as-Service (SaaS), Infrastructure-as-a-Servcie (IaaS), Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) & MESH Apps
- #11 3D Printing — Additive Manufacturing and Rapid Prototyping
- #12 CX — Customer Journey, Experience, Personalization & Commerce Tools
- #13 EnergyTech — Efficiency, Storage & Decentralized Grid
- #14 Cybersecurity including Adaptive Security — Security, Intelligence Detection, Remediation & Adaptation
- #15 Voice Assistants - Interfaces, Chatbots & Natural Language Processing
- #16 Nanotechnology - Computing, Medicine, Machines and Smart Dust
- #17 Collaborative Tech — Crowd, Sharing, Workplace & Open Source Platforms & Tools
- #18 Health Tech — Advanced Genomics, Bionics & Health Care Tech.
- #19 Human-Computer Interaction — Facial/Gesture Recognition, Biometrics, Gaze Tracking
- #20 Geo-spatial Tech — GIS, GPS, Mapping & Remote Sensing, Scanning, Navigation
- #21 Advanced Materials — Composites, Alloys, Polymers, Biomimicry, Nanomanufacturing
- #22 New Touch Interfaces — Touch Screens, Haptics, 3D Touch, Paper, Feedback & Exoskeletons
- #23 Wireless Power
- #24 Clean Tech — Bio-/Enviro-Materials + Solutions, Sustainability, Treatment & Efficiency
- #25 Quantum Computing — Exascale Computing
- #26 Smart Cities — Infrastructure & Transport
- #27 Edge/Fog Computing
- #28 Faster, Better Internet — Broadband including Fiber, 5G, Li-Fi , LPN and LoRa
- #29 Proximity Tech — Beacons, RFID, Wi-Fi, Near-Field Communications & Geofencing
- #30 New Screens — next evolution TVs, Digital Signage, OOH, MicroLEDS & Projections
Mobile App Daily’s 15 Technological Trends for 2020
Female CEOs and Role Models in Tech
The technology industry has come a long way in the last few years. Wouldn’t you agree? A previously white, male-dominated environment is becoming more diverse; opening the door to people from all...